Thursday, March 19, 2009

GOING GREEN!




Hi All;

The new cool is "going green". Recycle, reuse, redecorate! While there seems to be a renewed awareness of these terms and their meaning, I've been going green for over 20 years! I've been recycling plastic, aluminum, paper for years. I support a sustainable earth & environment, use organic produce & clothing when available.

Then 5 years ago, I decided to go green with decorating. It started when I read an article about an interior designer who was making a great living re-designing her home, as well as those of others by reincorporating materials and memories of people's childhood. By redecorating her client's homes with original picture frames, quilts, pillows, sofa throws, rugs, pottery,etc from their childhood, people were able to obtain a renewed "warm & fuzzy" feeling. Her client's obtained much of their decorations from their past. Either by opening up stored boxes, or by visiting their parent's or grandparent's house for heirlooms, client's quickly expressed a renewed sense of peace and joy.

After reading her article, and digging through some stuff in my closet, I decided not to replace an old dark green wooden frame around my parent's portrait. Instead, I proudly displayed the picture on the wall. To my surprise, I quickly grew fond of the frame, scratches and all. Further, I couldn't help but smile everytime I looked at the picture, as it served to remind me of the easier, warm days of my youth in the 80's. Needless to say, the collection of old frames & pictures in their original condition quickly adorned my walls. Soon, I opened more boxes and found new uses for old rugs, curtains, kitchen ware, quilts, pillows, and the lists goes on and on...................In a few months, my house recaptured a "fuzzy & familiar feeling" unknown to me for years. As the designer noted, "new furniture and accessories felt stale, lacked personality and added no appeal to the heart".

For a collection of books on redecorating your home, stop by my booth #77. I also have a wide assortment of books, magazines from the 1970's on fashion design, jewelry making, embroidery, knitting, crotchets, American Home Crafts, candle making, the list is endless.

It's interesting to note, that hand made crafts were especially Cool in the 70's. The Hippy Era was known for creativity & union with the earth and it's resources.

Please write to me with any ideas you have about redecorating......

Regards,

Zee

No comments: