Thursday, March 12, 2009

Aprons - A Visit to the Past

Hi Everyone;

Has anyone ever wondered why use aprons? What were they for? I did. I recently found out some interesting facts about Aprons.
First, I asked an antique dealer, who has been in business for over 10 years, her opinion about an apron I recently found at a thrift shop in Las Vegas. She told me that aprons were popular in the 1950's - 1960's, pre-washer & dryer days. Suddenly, the light went off in my head! They became popular because they protected women's clothes while cooking, thus helped them avoid doing more "hand-washing" of their clothes.

For anyone born in the 60's or later, days without washers/dryers are unfathomable! Despite being told by my mother the difficulties of washing by hand, it was still hard to imagine days without these modern machines. I guess we can all find the same circumstances today when our children do not recall times without remote control, cable or a cell-phone.

Aprons come in all styles, color, materials, fancy or plain. Most of all, Aprons clearly represent times past, when life was not so fast for all of us. Have you noticed Lucy in the "I Love Lucy show", wear an apron? She did not have a washer/dryer area. She was a stay-at-home mom!

One of the most rewarding things about Vintage finds is the opportunity to re-live the past, our childhood, our neighborhood, our relationships with people we love and miss. So next time you see an Apron, buy it, wear it, make yourself a cup of tea and enjoy days gone by!!

1 comment:

AddiLV said...

Hello there,
I just had to comment on your blog "The Apron"!! I Sooo very much enjoyed reading your knowledgeable n precise account on the Apron. I myself happen to remember The Apron well...Lol, Guess I just dated myself. As Growing up in the late 50's n 60's I remember my mon,( Now just three months away from her 90th birthday) Always wearing an apron. Indeed there were many styles women wore. Mom had her everyday aprons and for "special" occasions there were the "Fancy" aprons. As I got older I never wore an apron. Thinking back I'm certain it was the time's.
I remember it well, It was all about Love n Peace. A new generation. One that truly resisted our parents way of life. Wow!! It's been so long since I've thought back on those days. Your blog has brought back a lifetime ago of memories. I thank you for that. Memories, Some bittersweet, Some amazing and Some that molded me into who I am proud to be! It must of been just about four yrs ago when mom had to give up her home n come live with us...I had been helping with years n years of mom n daddys life long treasurs. I had been packing n sorting n reminiscing along with mom and my two daughters through just about every draw, picture and every so carefully backed box when we came across moms aprons...Talk about a BLAST FROM MY PAST!!! There they were. Mom had saved just about everyone I could remember. As my daughters pulled them out one by one, I saw my mom so very very many years ago standing in our kitchen just as clear as if I were back in my childhood home..My girls were stoked at Gma's aprons. My oldest daughter actually remembered mom wearing her apron. Mom told us she didn't need to take those and said the girl's n I could do whatever we thought best. LOL, It only took long enough for Gma to utter those words for my girls to each claim the ones they wanted.
It always makes gma feel good when were over my daughters house, For every time she cooks or bakes, The APRON is on...And so it seems, Times change, Years go by, but all good things seem to come right back where they....BELONG!!!
Awww, Once again..." Thank You" Ever sooo much....
Addie/ Nana
0 ; )